Pages

Thursday 18 June 2015

Rationing Challenge - Day 11

I woke this morning with a real hankering for something spicy and flavoursome. Lunch wasn't a wartime recipe, but then this challenge is also about trying to make rationing work in this day and age. I couldn't sustain this diet if we had to exist only on wartime recipes, as they are - in the main - quite bland. I don't know where all my spices come from, which is something I need to look into, but as my spice rack is well stocked, I wasn't having to buy any new ingredients.
Mayonnaise wasn't available during the war, unless you made it yourself, and the lack of eggs made that difficult. However, I read an article - in the Daily Mail, so I refuse to link to it! - that said Salad Cream became quite popular, so I used some today to make a coleslaw.

Breakfast 
Porridge & honey
Coffee; milk

Lunch
Spicy Beef Hash:
Parboil diced potatoes
Pop some lard in a roasting tin in the oven to melt
Put potatoes into roasting tin.
Add paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, tomato puree, tomatoes, leftover brisket, and mix together
Top with lardons.
Cook in hot oven (200c) until the potatoes and bacon are crispy.
Add chopped spring onions and grated cheese, and pop back in the oven until the cheese is melted

Coleslaw - grated carrot, cabbage & radish with a little salad cream
Watercress
Nectarines

Spicy Beef Hash rationing leftovers brisket paprika

Tea
Eggy Bread
Milk

Remaining Rations
Sugar - 2lb 31.5oz 30.6oz
Margarine - 1lb 14oz 11oz
Bacon/Ham - 12oz 9.1oz
Cheese - 11oz 7.5oz 6.5oz 5.5oz 4oz
Lard - 6oz 5.7oz 5.3oz 4.3oz
Vegetable suet - 2oz 
Tea - 4oz 3.5oz 3.1oz 2.7oz 2.5oz
Meat - 24oz ALL COOKED
Butter - 8oz 7.7oz 7.4oz 7oz 6.5oz
Milk - 20pints 17.65pints 15.6pints 13.6pints 11.75pints
Sweets/Chocolate - 12oz 10.7oz 10.1oz 8.6oz
Marmalade - 1lb 15oz
Jam - 8oz 6.5oz
Eggs - 8 6


Check out My Thoughts on Things on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment