Pages

Friday 28 June 2013

Breastfeeding Beyond a Year - Keep Britain Breastfeeding 2013

 "Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond." World Health Organisation




I wrote the following for my 22 month old daughter, who still loves her be-boos!


Sonnet to My Nursing Toddler
Shall I compare your nursing now to then?
You are more likely to feed upside down,
Rough hands do pinch my breasts over again,
And gentle strokes are not so frequent now:
Sometimes you spot the breast and your eyes shine,
And often do you feed so unashamed,
That every now and then I must decline,
Though we take nature's feeding course untamed:
But our eternal feedings have now passed,
You are busier and sure of yourself,
Oh, you, my little girl, have grown so fast,
With intellect and skin that shows your health,
   So long as you can suck, this is my view,
   So long we nurse, for this gives life to you.


Then...


Then...
...Now
Check out some of these links to the benefits to mother and child of breastfeeding beyond a year:

 Please visit some of the other Scavenger Hunt bloggers to find out more:
Dummy Mummy - This blog is a way of sharing all the things that as a clueless mum to a beautiful daughter, born in 2010 and gorgeous son, born in 2012, I am finding out through trial and error. Mainly error. This is my journey through depression, breastfeeding, and the sleep-deprived, guilt-ridden, wonderful, challenging world tat is motherhood.  
Little Lily Pad Co -The Little Lilypad Blog is mostly written by a mum to two beautiful ( and very entertaining) daughters. It is sometimes written by the Man on the Pad and occasionally we accept guest posts. It is hopefully helpful, sometimes funny and always honest  
Sorry About The Mess - Hi, I'm Chloe. I'm a 28 year old and live with my partner Same and our toddler son Arlo in our first little house in South London. Baby number two has now joined our family!  
Petit Mom -If you hadn’t guessed by the name I’m short and I’m also a mother. I am 27 years old living in the West Midlands (near Birmingham to be a bit more exact without you stalking the hell out of me) with my fiancé, our son who is 3 years old and a girl due in July 2013 so we’ll soon be a family of four. I’m a cloth nappy fan (read: addict), social media lover and a little bit crazy from time to time. 
Great British Family - A blog showcasing the best Great Britain has to offer families. I also blogged about my pregnancy and now my journey as a first time mum to my little girl. 

And check out one of the Scavenger Hunt sponsors:



Breast Milk Keepsakes who are offering a prize of one of their Breast Milk Keepsakes. An innovative idea of jewellery made from your breastmilk.
 
You've found the logo - now enter the competition below:




9 comments:

  1. Great post - informative, funny and - poetry - wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for an interesting post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very lovely post.
    i plan to feed for as long as my little one wants me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poem. It certainly more of a contact sport nursing a toddler!
    I breastfed my daughter for 19 months, we're currently 18 months with no sing of stopping with my son.... we'll stop when we are both ready hopefully

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's some interesting research by Kathy Dettwyler about the natural age of weaning here: http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the poem! I'd love to feed until DS1 self-weans, but he's never voluntarily dropped a feed in his life (I cut down to TTC) and I'm feeling a lot of agitation now at 34 months, so I may have to stop before he's ready :( I'm hoping I won;t get the same issues with DD2 as I won;t be tandem nursing, so hopefully she'll have a smoother path to weaning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab post !! i've been feeding my daughter for 3 months now and i want to feed as long as she wants to :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I intend to let my daughter self-wean. My son fed until he was 25months so the book photo is familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are now at 5 months and definitely no plans to stop anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete