Pages

Monday 8 June 2015

Rationing Challenge - Day 1

During the war, most workers ate at work in canteens, or at cafés near to where they worked. This meant their rations would go further at home. The Hubby was out at work today, and B had gone with my parents to visit her cousin. M and I missed them. She kept walking around the house, calling out B's name. It felt pretty quiet, and it's been so much harder to get stuff done when I have had to do all the entertaining that B normally does! The upside of it just being M and me today is that our rations will go further this week!  


Breakfast
B & Me: Toast with butter and marmalade 
The Hubby & M: Porridge with jam
Grown ups: Cup of tea each - 1tbsp milk
Girls: 1/4 cup milk each

Mid-MorningWartime Scotch ShortbreadThis is when I got hungry. Breakfast was not enough. I usually have eggs or mushrooms, so I need to get some more protein into tomorrow's breakfast. It could also be psychological, in that I suddenly realised I couldn't just find something to snack on and that got me thinking about it. Instead, I had another cup of tea (1tbsp milk) and made some Wartime Scotch Shortbread (4oz margarine, 2oz sugar), to keep my mind off eating.
M had another 1/4 cup of milk and half an apple




Lunch 
Cheese & vegetable bake, loosely based around this but with fewer tomatoes, and some added leeks. I put an ounce of cheese in the sauce and an ounce on top of the bake. It seemed like such a small amount.
Rationing Cheese Vegetable Bake

Rationing Cheese Vegetable BakeM and I ate it with spinach, broccoli, and a slice of bread each, and followed it up by sharing a piece of shortbread and the other half of the apple. There were plenty of leftovers for later in the week. It wasn't awful, but it was pretty bland. I didn't realise just how much I rely on cheese for flavour. If I was going to make this again, I'd probably make the cheese sauce with some meat stock instead of all milk, and definitely add more salt and herbs. 



Mid-Afternoon
Another cup of tea - 1tbsp milk

Rations Jam SandwichTea 1
M had a jam sandwich, a slice of cheese and half a carrot, with another 1/4 pint of milk. I had a small slice of bread with jam, so that she wasn't eating alone and because I was hungry. My poor breakfast has followed me through the day!




Tea 2 (After M was in bed)
I had a hankering for something really tasty, so it had to be a bacon sandwich. I fried 1 wafer thin rasher, and then fried some sliced mushrooms in the fat (plus a scrape of lard) with some thyme. 

Rationing Bacon & Mushroom Sandwich

Between two slices of lightly buttered bread with a little brown sauce, it was delicious and just what I needed. I followed it up with a 1/4 pint of milk and a piece of shortbread. For the first time today, I felt satisfied. 

Supper
A square of dark chocolate 

Remaining Rations 
Sugar - 2lb 30oz
Margarine - 1lb 12oz
Bacon/Ham - 12oz 11.75oz
Cheese - 11oz 9oz
Lard - 6oz
Vegetable Suet - 2oz
Tea - 4oz 3.9oz
Meat - 24oz
Butter - 8oz 7.5oz
Milk - 20pints 18.25pints
Sweets/Chocolate - 12oz 11.8oz
Marmalade - 1lb 14.5oz
Jam - 8oz 6.95oz
Eggs - 8

No comments:

Post a Comment