Pages

Thursday 22 January 2015

Thankful Thursday - My Family

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. Desmond Tutu

I am one of four children. I have 31 first cousins, and I don't even know how many second and third cousins. I love being a part of a big family, and I pray that one day my children will know the pleasure of having loads of cousins to play with. They currently have one cousin - a lovely little girl, just two weeks younger than B. 
I'm so grateful for my parents. They have been a great help over the past few years: Mum has guided and supported my breastfeeding journeys, hoovered our stairs and cleaned toilets, and rung me often to check how I'm doing; Dad has entertained the children, done gardening, and come to stay over when the Hubby's been away on business. 
I'm thankful for my siblings too. We have our share of conflict - unavoidable with the stubborn genes we've all inherited! - but we are able to get over that when it counts.
We've fought and laughed, argued and celebrated together. We've taught each other how to get on with a variety of different people. My sister has been a doting aunty and helped me a lot when B was born; she took wonderful photos for us at our wedding. My brothers are entertaining and interesting - B adores my youngest brother - and I often learn something new from each of them whenever we're together. 
I'm so glad that I have known my grandparents - well, three out of the four anyway. My Nana, the matriarch, was terrifying, but had a deep faith which has influenced me and a deep mistrust of Health Visitors that I have inherited. My maternal grandparents have been generous and kind, and I have great memories of staying with them and laughing a lot. 
And then there are my in-laws. I'm grateful for the family that brought up the Hubby. I've heard some horror stories about in-laws, so I'm so thankful for mine. My father-in-law is fabulous at D.I.Y. which means my shelves are up straight! My mother-in-law never tires of playing weddings with B. Another doting aunty in my sister-in-law, and the comfort of having another "outsider" to talk to in her husband. 
And then there is my little family. The Hubby and two beautiful daughters. What more could I ask for? I am loved. I am needed. They all three make me laugh. I have more cuddles than I ever dreamed of. They really are God's gift to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment