Pages

Friday 15 July 2016

Siblings - July 2016

The Me and Mine Project 

As we get closer to the new baby's arrival, I look at these two and see them getting bigger and bigger. The age gap doesn't seem as great as it has before. They can play make-believe games together, and M can join in properly. It makes me all the more aware how different life will be with a baby in the house again, and how old the girls will both seem.
With M's speech and language so clear and developed, I often find myself forgetting that she is still so young. 2 years and 8 months. But because she can hold her own in a conversation I often expect her to understand much more. I think B finds that difficult too. She doesn't always understand why M isn't behaving the way she wants her to, and I have to remind her that M is still so little.



They really do care about each other, but so often you wouldn't know it. Fights break out over seemingly pointless things. They decide they want something simply because the other already has it. And then they use that jeering, sing-song voice to inform the other that they have it, leading to wailing and whining and gnashing of teeth!
I feel for B. It's not easy being the eldest, especially when your little sister seems to be deliberately trying to annoy you. And when everyone is expecting you to behave differently to her. She's doing a good job of it though. She has really taken on board the need to use gentle hands, and to tell us if M is doing something she doesn't like, rather than taking matters into her own hand. I'm very proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment